Thursday, November 24, 2011

Holiday Gameplans

Legs sore. Body tired. Mind fatigued.

Yup, all the symptoms of an Ironman training program in effect! My legs are unusually sore today, I think the increase in running mileage is taking it's toll. No injuries, I'll back off if I feel anything. The only thing I do notice is that the bottom of my feet hurt. I need new shoes, these tri-specific shoes are ultralight and inappropriate for trail running. I've just been too cheap to buy new ones.

I also think the fatigue stems from lack of calories. I'm eating small portions and reasonably healthy but probably not enough to support the training. I was hoping to drop 5lbs before the holidays as I was just at my 'holy sh*t' weight last week. I dont want to go over 180lbs, it's a slippery slope. It's not uncommon for us first time finishers to pack on a bunch of weight after the race!

How are you preparing to deal with the holiday calories? I'm already thinking it through, coming up with a gameplan on how to keep myself under control. Mentally getting into the anti-holiday-calorie zone.

Of course I'll drink beer, eggnog, candy! Probably all at the same time too, but I need to find a way to minimize the damage. My plan is to stuff myself so full of candies and eggnog at the first party that I get sick to my stomach. I will consume all my holiday calories in a SINGLE sitting. Indulge until I puke.

In that moment I will be so sick of everything that I will not want anymore for the rest of the holidays. That's my theory anyways. It kind of worked for me last year.

I'm also going to watch the scale like a hawk. That should help motivate me to stay the course.

The training is hard enough as it is. I don't feel like lugging around a sack of potatoes in my gut for these runs.

I start back-to-back LSD runs in a couple of weeks. I want to be ready.

Last night's run was tough. Got out on a country road loop of hills that had an absolutely gorgeous view of the sunset but the shoulders and road were littered with holes, cracks. It was really hard to see when the sun set, I won't be going that way again. Too bad, it was beautiful. That run went much longer than I would have liked.

Training:

Run - 1:45hrs (That road was longer than I thought. Doh!)

Bike - 0:45hrs (Slow to get out of bed, things are tired after the run)


5 comments:

  1. i started counting calories today....doh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm skipping the holiday baking this year, hubby and I packed away a good 5-6 dozen cookies last within within a couple weeks...not good! Over the past year I gained back half the weight I lost so I have been avoiding the scale, I guess now is the time to get back and and start damage control for real...thanks for the motivation (better now than Jan 1)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The holiday weight gain thing sucks. I read somewhere, I think it was in the book Racing Weight (?) that before going to parties where there's likely to be lots of high cal/high fat snacky foods, to drink chicken broth or eat a similar broth-y soup (ie not cream of potato or something heavy)... something about the broth is supposed to make you feel full so you won't want to snack as much. I've never tried it, but it's probably worth a try!

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS. My first attempt at mountain biking is this Sunday! :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...