Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Cold Bliss

I'd like to think that there is a special place in Hell for those that do not shovel their sidewalk.

Shovel. Please. Or Else.
Last night was the coldest evening to date, it was -15 Celsius plus a windchill. "For those who don't know metric, I'll translate.....it was fucking cold and windy" (Thanks to My Boring Triathlon Blog for that quote, it made me lol).

Despite the cold, I was happy to get a run in. Today is the first double workout day of my training routine. Bike in the morning, run in the evening. I love a challenge and looked forward to seeing how my body reacted. I ignored the cold and concentrated on appreciating the fact it was dry out. Sunday's run was extremely wet and icy so this run should feel like a breeze compared to that. On the other hand, I didn't feel 'a breeze' since the wind was coming at such a perfect direction that when I reached the city limits I was tucked nicely in a valley out of the wind.
My favourtie part of the run is the turn around. Not only am I halfway done, but I am now running towards home which eases the mental challenge. At the turn around I have a beautiful view over the dark valley towards town. I feel like I'm a million miles away from anyone, it's cold and crisp out. I can see my breath. The only sound is a light wind through the leafless trees and my footsteps on the ground. It's an awesome feeling.
The bike lanes have a good inch of snow on them which means I was slower than usual, but only slightly slower. Running on snow is a definite workout. My ankle started to bother me, but I know this pain all to well. Its related to cycling and I suspect my early morning trainer ride aggravated it. I have to check my bike setup again to prevent further injury. It's only 1.5/10 on the pain scale but this can quickly shoot to a constant 5 with little effort.

The Turnaround View ;)


A productive evening too. After the run I managed to find time to work on the computer, eat dinner and watch the UFC fight. To my amazement I completely avoided finding out who won the fight on the weekend. Last time I got hit with a spoiler so watching the fight wasn't the same. Not a big deal though. I topped the evening off with an early bed time. I fell asleep pretty quick and woke up feeling fresh! What a great day!













1 comment:

  1. I appreciate the computer work!! Thanks!
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...